Friday, January 27, 2012

Fathers day?

The recent fathers day brought up a biannual issue for me. I don't call or send a card to my step father on fathers day. Neither do I do anything for my ex-step mothers or my dads girlfriend on mothers day. My sisters apparently at least call all these people. I figure I have a mother and a father and that's what the holiday is about. I am not going to cheapen the day by wishing happy mothers day to my dad's girlfriend. At the card store, they sell mothers day cards for everyone you know, as if you are supposed to get a card for your neighbor down the street as long as she is someones mother somewhere. Am I wrong in not calling these other people on someone elses holiday? (just as a note, I do have a good relationship with my step father, we kind of work together, and talk all the time, sometimes he calls me just to chat, it's not that I don't like him, he just isn't my father)

Fathers day?
You are under no obligation to send a card or to call anyone simply because of a father's day or mother's day event. I call and send cards to many of my friends on these 2 days simply because they are a part of my life - family and friends alike. I find that recognizing these events is an opportunity to tell someone I love them - regardless of familial status. Go with your heart and tell those you love that you love them.
Reply:I think if you have just a good friendship with him... not a father-daughter type relationship... you don't necessarily have to give him a father's day card. Couldn't hurt though. What's 4 extra bucks for a card? Doesn't even have to be some happy fluffy card either.



As for buying a card for everyone you know...that's the greedy card company talking. Grandparents, parents, step-parents, and perhaps siblings are all you really should feel obligated giving a card too. Don't have enough money? At least get cards to the parents and grandparents.


  • shiseido
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment